Saturday, August 25, 2012

BATMAN...AND BEYOND!

Yeah, I know I’m a little late gettin’ around to it, but I figure I’ll throw in my two and a half cents about “The Dark Knight Rises”.  First, I have to say that I went into the theater with the sense that I would not be disappointed with this final installment of the Nolan trilogy.  I just had a feeling that things from TDK that left me so depressed (for lack of a better word) would somehow be righted.  I was not wrong…for the most part.  I think that there were a lot of things that were right on the money here.  Though I might have gone another way in some aspects, I believe that there were a lot of visions in TDKR that we saw in “Batman Begins”.  I’m not sure if those bits were because of more writing contributions by David Goyer or if it was just a conscious decision from the whole creative team to give the movie that feeling.  Aside from the obvious connection to BB (I won’t spoil it for the two people who haven’t seen the flick) there was the same kind of energy that was not (in my opinion) present in TDK.  It’s kinda hard to talk about my favorite points of the movie without giving away plot.  The same goes for the parts that I wasn’t so jazzed about, but I can say that I think the movie was worth the admission price and I’ll be glad to add “The Dark Knight Rises” to my Bat-collection. 

That being said…I’m ready for the next vision of The Batman to fill us with delight.  I am almost positive that Nolan will still have his hands in the production or executive production of the next concept, but I hope that the next creative team gives us the Batman that gives as good as he gets.  I’m talking about the guy that can go head to head with a “Super” human and come away with his head up.  That’s the guy I wanna see next.  After all, next summer we get to “believe a man can fly” again.  We should be getting ready for a Batman that can help save a planet from other worldly foes.  That only seems fair.  If I wanna see a realistic super hero, I’ll watch a Norris movie ;-))

As far as “Man of Steel” goes, I like what I’ve seen so far.  I think that the Jor El and Jonathan Kent teasers were brilliant.  Was it me, or did anyone else get the same visual vibe from those trailers as from the first “Batman Begins” teaser?  Weird…yet hopeful!  Let’s all hope that we will see stuff that we have never seen but have always been waiting for.  Horns Up!

BARLOW OUT!!!

6 comments:

  1. Let me preface this by saying that I've never read the Batman comics. The first Batman film that I watched was TDK and I loved it. I loved Nolan's dark idealization of Bruce Wayne. It resonated with me, though I can't speak to whether it was true to the comic or not. Secondly, I saw TDKR the day after the Aurora shooting. I was torn between losing myself in the film and watching the emergency exits, wondering what true-life terrors might interrupt that dream. Thirdly, I am female. Take that for what it's worth.

    I loved TDKR, maybe not as much as the TDK -- it wasn't quite as dark or quite as hopeless -- but I did love it. I loved Catwoman and I loved Bruce Wayne as a broken man. It all seemed very human for a film based on a comic. It resonated with me and allowed me to stop watching the emergency exits for long enough to be lost in the spectacle of Gotham City. That means something. I don't know quite what it means, but it does mean something. It was a film that allowed me to suspend my disbelief long enough to both believe in and enjoy the story of a broken man searching to become whole again. There aren't many films that capture my imagination, but this one did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me say this, The Dark Knight Rises disappointed me in so many ways, but still it is way better then most superhero movies I've seen lately, and yes, I had fun and I did not even notice that the movie was almost three hours long. In most cases, that is more one can hope for, but after The Joker in The Dark Knight, this had to be a bit of a let down.

    I agree with you 100% about two other things though: 1. I look forward to see a different incarnation of Batman too! I also think that Nolan will be involved in one way or another, but I hope that the new approach will have more of that Burton vibe for which I love the 90's Batman. Maybe a mixture of Burton and Nolan would be just perfect. As for villains... that's a really tough call... The Riddler? The Penguin?

    and second: YES! The Man of Steel is coming soon and I'm hyped like a little kid. I've even seen the comic con footage and I literally am counting the days till that movie hits the theaters. And I sincerely hope that it will be a success, so we could see more movies with some real bad-ass villains like Brainiac or Darkseid. And then... bring on the Justice League :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, by the way, if you haven't yet, check out Chronicle! It's a great superhero movie :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand what you mean Matt.
    I thought the movie was good, but not the epic masterpiece I was hoping for, even though most people don't agree with me I thought the previous two movies were way better thant this one.
    It's not a bad movie, but it has some flaws and they were noticeable.
    I must admit that I was quite crestfallen when I got out of the theatre, because Batman Begins and The Dark Knight had set really high standards for me.
    POSSIBLE SPOILERS
    I liked Bane, I liked his background story and his look and I liked the fights scenes involving him.
    However I really did not like Hateway and her character, I thought the movie could do without her very easilly.
    I also did not like the pace of the movie and I thought the screenplay wasn't as good as the previous ones, it seems like the message was confused and a bit undeveloped, especially when it came to Bane's lines, as if Nolan tried to say too much in a fairly short time.
    This was a good movie, don't get me wrong, but I was hoping for another masterpiece.
    This said, Nolan's trilogy is a damn good one and the movie was shot beautifully as usual.
    And the acting was great, especially the scenes involving Caine and Bale together.
    I hope more Batman movies will come out, and I'd love to see Batman owning some other superhero like in Frank Miller's Dark Knight or prove he's got nothing to envy like in the Justice League.
    Best thing about Batman, for me, will always be his sheer will and relentlessness.
    Ps
    I know I'm a Joker freak, but amm I the only one who would love a Killing Joke movie or animated adaptation? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. With The Dark Saga album and all, it would be fun to hear your thoughts on the Spawn movie =)

    ReplyDelete