Wednesday, March 7, 2012

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES


Today I got a chance to reflect on some wonderful moments in my life.  I remember when my wife I began to date, shortly after I moved to Indiana.  I was given a new lease on life that year.  In addition to dating my future wife, Iced Earth began working on “Something Wicked This Way Comes”, which was released the following year.  Arguably, some of my best work was done on that record.  Many great things happened when I started my life in Indiana.  Ironically, that same year, another “Hoosier” transplant started a new life in Indianapolis, Indiana. 

The number one draft pick in the National Football League started his professional career with a team that I grew up watching in Baltimore.  It seemed like the making of a perfect storm.  I became a believer in Peyton Manning from the first time he took a snap as an Indianapolis Colt. This is a dude who commanded respect at a very young age and proved that hard work, passion, and dedication to his craft would ultimately define who he was as a player.  For fourteen years he continued to prove to the people of Indiana what kind of person he was and reinforce the respect of his peers and fans throughout the entire league. 

As a fan, it is really difficult to conceive the Indianapolis Colts without Peyton Manning.  Well, here I am in much the same quandary that some of you may have been in when I departed Iced Earth (twice).  Well, I am here to tell you that I really get it, and I’m sorry!   I know that it sucks to have to deal with change and losing that certain sense of congruency that comes with the end of an era.  I also want to thank you for all the inspiration.  You have given me the understanding that, like you, I don’t have to choose loyalties between the team and the guy who gave it all when he was in the game.  I will continue to support the Indianapolis Colts and I will always be a fan of Peyton Manning.  Go kick some ass, brother!  I’ll be there screamin’ like a madman when you take your next snap!

By the way, another thing that Peyton Manning and I have in common…He used to make eight figures with the Indianapolis Colts and I used to make figure eights in a Dodge Colt.  BARLOW-OUT!

2 comments:

  1. Matt, your apology is taken! Thanks, as it was long awaited.. I am glad you feel a bit how we feel when all Iced Earth fans lost you from the band. Your presence at the stage, your voice, screams, growls, and high notes were BADASS!! It was a pleasure meeting you on the cruise..
    cheers brother \m/ hope to hear you sing loud again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,
    This post definitely reflects why your fans are your fans. I think all of us agree that having this medium to still follow you makes it a lot easier to cope with the loss, so thank you for that!!! Also it just so happens I was reading this while listening to "The Prophecy" haha, I just wanted to say that album is what made me start listening to Iced Earth and anytime I showed it to anyone all I could say was, "listen to that voice!"

    ReplyDelete